Counselor In Training Program
"To provide an environment where teens can learn leadership skills, develop a positive self-image and become involved members of the community so that they may be better prepared to lead fulfilling and productive adult lives."
CIT volunteers must be a minimum of 14 years old (a week before program start date) or entering the 9th grade and a maximum of 16 years old. The CIT Volunteer program gives teens an opportunity to work with children in various recreation programs.
The different areas in which to be a Counselor in Training:
- Challenger Basketball
- Concerts on the Green
- Day Camp
- Kids Corner
- Pee Wee Sports
- Senior Center
- Summer Parks
Due to the increasing number of participants in the Counselor-In-Training Program, applicants will be chosen on a first-come, first-serve basis AND summer availability.
All applicants must be 14 through 16 years of age. Each applicant must be at least 14 years of age by a week before program start date. Applications are available Monday, February 23th and must be completed and returned to the Recreation and Community Services Office, 5700 Orange Avenue, by 5:00pm, Friday, March 20th.
Applicants must be available for an interview Wednesday, April 15th or Thursday, April 16th. Applicants will sign up for their interview time and date when they turn in their application.
Summer Programs need the assistance of their CIT’s for a specific duration and time during the summer. Please make sure you read and understand the program specifics before you request to volunteer for that program.
The goal of the CIT Program is to provide you with the following:
- Increased sense of community pride
- Increased knowledge of community resources
- Increased self-esteem
- Increased appreciation of adult role models
- On-going feedback regarding work performance
- Duties that are meaningful, worthwhile, and appropriate for your age and background
- A positive, worthwhile, and fulfilling experience that will be the first step on the career ladder
- The opportunity to work toward short and long term goals, meet new friends, and have fun!