Bob Decker, Building Official
Phone Number: (714) 229-6730
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Division Counter Hours: Monday-Thursday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
Fridays: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
The City has adopted the following codes:
California Building Code, 2013 Edition, Part 2, Volumes I and II (based on the 2012 International Building Code)
California Residential Code, 2013 Edition (based on the 2012 International Residential Code)
California Green Building Standards Code, 2013 Edition
California Mechanical Code, 2013 Edition (based on the 2012 Uniform Mechanical Code)
Uniform Housing Code, 1997 Edition
Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings, 1997 Edition
International Property Maintenance Code, 2006 Edition
State of California Title 24 Energy Regulations, 2008 Edition (2013 Effective July 1, 2014)
California Administrative Code, 2013 Edition
These codes can be found online for free at the California Building Standards Commission website.
- City of Cypress is located in Seismic Design Category D.
- The ultimate wind speed is 110 mph. And ASD Basic wind speed is 85 mph, this can be verified with ASCE 7-10, Table 16-1, 2013 CBC Table 1609.3.1. Most areas of Cypress can be classified as wind exposure category C. However, some areas may meet the criteria for exposure B (>= 1,500 feet away from open fields) and the design professional is responsible for justifying the exposure selected for the specific area of construction
- For additions and remodels, the soil bearing pressure is based on 1,500 pounds per square foot, unless a higher value is justified by a soils report. A 1/3 increase is allowed for wind/seismic.
- For retaining walls, lateral soil bearing pressure is based on 100 pounds per square foot per foot below natural grade, unless a higher value is justified by a soils report. Without a soils report the coefficient of friction is 130 psf x contact area of footing or 1/2 DL whichever is less.
- The climate zone is Zone 8.
- Rainfall design is based on two inches of rainfall per hour.
New Requirements for Heating/Cooling Permits
For all heating/cooling alterations, please download and complete, CEC-CF1R-ALT-04-E Form, and bring with you when applying for the permit.
New Requirements for Reroof
1. If re-roof project requires for roof sheathing to be replaced, a Radiant Barrier type sheathing will be required.
2. For Final inspection, download and complete Smoke Detector Verification form and leave for inspector to pick up. You may also email the form to us prior to calling for final inspection.
The Cypress Municipal Code Section 13-70 (e) Noise sources associated with construction, repair, remodeling or grading of any real property, provided said activities do not take place between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. on weekdays, before 9:00 a.m. and after 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, or at any time on Sunday or a federal holiday.
City approved solid waste disposal & recycling company is Republic Services 800-299-4898.
Plan check Submittals: For additions, alterations and tenant improvements, please submit 2 sets of plans, Structural Calculations, Title 24 Energy Calculations and Soils reports when any of these documents are required. For Photovoltaic submittals, please submit 3 sets of plans and 2 sets of structural calculations, they are usually approved on first submittal. Plan check turnaround is 10 working days for initial submittal, and 5 working days for recheck.
Forms of Payment: Cash or Check ONLY.
What Projects Require a Building Permit?
Building permits are required for the construction, alteration, repair, conversion, enlargement, or change in occupancy of a building or structure. Permits are also required for the installation, repair, or upgrade to electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems. Examples of projects which require a building permit include but are not limited to:
1. Construction of new buildings or structures
2. Kitchen remodels
4. Installation of heating and/or air conditioning units, water heaters, or other fixed appliances
5. Patio covers and room additions
6. Installation of Solar Panels
7. Window Change-outs
If you have questions regarding whether your project may require a building permit, please call the Cypress Building Division at (714) 229-6730.
Building inspections are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Generally, two day's notice is required to schedule an inspection. However, if you call early on the day prior to the inspection, it may be possible to schedule an inspection for the next day if space is available. You may request morning or afternoon appointments and we will attempt to accommodate your request. Depending on the type of inspection, it may be necessary for someone to be present at the time of the inspection.
Building Division Handouts and Information:
(PLEASE NOTE ALL 2013 TITLE 24 ENERGY EFFICIENCY STANDARDS UPDATES HAVE NOT BEEN REVISED ON THE FOLLOWING HANDOUTS)
2013-CF2R-ENV-01-Window Install Certificate
Alternate Methods and Materials Request Form
Block Wall Construction Details
Block Wall Neighbor Consent Form
California State Contractors Licensing Board
CF1R-ALT-01-E Residential Alterations
Construction & Demolition Debris Materials Questionnaire (Green Halo)
Contractors Business License application
Green Building Ideas
Owner Builder/Authorization Form
Pool Barrier Information
Reroof with Tile Roofing Design Requirments
Residential Green Building Suggestions
Residential Photovoltaic Systems
SB 407 Installation of Water Use Efficiency Improvements
Site Plan Example
Smoke Alarm/CO Certification
Subcontractor's List (submit to Business License 2 weeks prior to Final Inspection)
Water Heater Requirement