Mayor Since December 2012
Term Expires: November 2014
5275 Orange Avenue
P. O. Box 609
Cypress, CA 90630
Telephone: (714) 229-6699
Fax: (714) 229-6682
E-Mail Mayor Narain
Mayor Prakash Narain, M.D. is serving his second term on the Cypress City Council. He served as Mayor in 2009-10.
Mayor Narain holds a medical degree with specialty in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics. Dr. Narain completed his residency in Internal Medicine at St. Joseph's Hospital in Chicago and his fellowship in Geriatrics at UCLA and VA Westwood Hospital in Los Angeles. Dr. Narain has been practicing medicine at Leisure World in Seal Beach since 1987. He is a former Chief of Staff of Los Alamitos Medical Center and was the Chairman of the Governing Board of Los Alamitos Medical Center from 2008 to 2009. Mayor Narain has a history of community involvement. He served for eight years on the Cypress Senior Citizens Commission, three of which he served as Chairman of the Commission. He was an Advisory Board Member of Acacia Adult Day Care and was a former Volunteer Physician Advisor for the Cypress Police Department.
Mayor Narain is currently representing the City of Cypress on the following boards and committees:
- Orange County Sanitation District – Representative
- League of California Cities Orange County Division – Representative
- League of California Cities Legislative Delegate Program – Representative
- League of California Cities Orange County City Selection Committee - Representative
- Orange County Council of Governments-General Assembly – Representative
- City/Cypress School District Joint Steering Ad Hoc Committee
- City/Anaheim Union High School District Joint Steering Ad Hoc Committee
- Orange County Library Advisory Board - Alternate
- Traffic Signal Coordination Committee - Alternate
- Business Retention, Attraction, Creation and Expansion Committee (BRACE)
Mayor Narain, his wife Veena, and their two children Sachin and Seema, have resided in Cypress since 1987.